Sunday, June 05, 2011

Last night we attended a performance of the James River Ringers, a group of bell and chime players.  It was awesome.  I started learning to play chimes at our church a few months ago.  There are currently eight of us that meet every Wednesday for an hour to learn from our choir director Sue, who is wonderful and has a lot of patience with us.  Our group.

This group played 12 songs, mostly patriotic, all awesome.  The players got quite a work out.  The chimes I play are about a foot and a half long, some of their instruments were huge! I had no idea how many different ways sound could be made from these instruments. 
Our director Sue.
Standing ovation.
We got to hold some of the instruments and talk with the players after the performance.
Sue with one of the players.  This lady taught Sue how to play the organ.
Bells...I think more difficult to play than the chimes.
Some of the bells weighed 9 pounds.
Different techniques produce different sounds.  I had no idea.  It was very interesting.
Dave checking out the chimes with Sue.  Dave doesn't play but he is on the Hymn Committee at our church.
This chime is huge compared to what I play.
Great fun.

No comments: