Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

I hope every one had a Happy Mother's Day. It was a very nice day. My sweet husband gave me special treatment since he knew that I would be missing Amy even more than usual. Last Mother's Day was so much fun when we spent the day together. This is something that I look at every year:
Amy gave me this book in 1997 - one of the best gifts I have ever received. It is a book about mother and daughter relationships - quote from the inside flap of the book: "Whether the speakers are famous or not, their stories and portraits express universal feelings of tenderness, pride, and a love so fierce that it is sometimes painful". "A stunning and evocative tribute to this unbreakable bond". I read it every year to remind me of the special relationship that I have with my daughter and how lucky I am to have her as my daughter and friend. Too bad she is 12 hours away - I still have tough times with this but I know she is happy with her decision and is doing so well with her career and her family - what more could a mother ask for.
Amy wrote this personal message in the book for me and it makes me cry every time I read it.
Just a few of the entries:
Each segment includes a picture: this is Lynn Redgrave and her daughters.

Some famous, some not.

Janet Leigh and her daughter Jamie Lee Curtis.

This is a favorite: Kate Shupe and her 9 daughters. Kate had thirteen children - this reminds me of my great-grandmother who had 13 children and had fields around her home in Emporia Virginia similar to this picture. Quote from the book, "Kate was born in the very last year of the nineteenth century and was married during World War I to a man who work all his life as a guard at a Virginia state hospital. On her wedding night she modestly undressed under the covers and in her fifty-eight years of marriage her husband never saw her naked." Kate was 96 when this photo was taken - "Kate's formula for living is as simple as her fried apple pie recipe: "I lived a straight life. I never used bad language-that's a sin. Never smoked. Never drank. Worked real hard. I never think about being tired and I never complain."

Lindy Boggs and her daughter, Cokie Roberts.
There are 37 segments in the book and each one is so touching - a fabulous read!
These are a few of my favorite photos with Amy.
Happy Mothers Day Amy, Thank you for being so special and for being such a good daughter and a good mother to my beautiful grandchildren.

No comments: