Thursday, April 08, 2010

Lots of things

I cooked the corn chowder from this "Prevention" cookbook - very good.This was the best, recipe from a cooking challenge on the Food Network - "Three Cheese Crostini" - delicious and it went well with the soup.  In case you don't know, my favorite, youngest niece is getting married in October - Jenny - 27 years old, hard to believe.  I met Jenny, Tracie and Mary Lou for lunch to talk about Jenny's bridal shower which I am hosting in August - I am so excited to have the opportunity to do this for her.  It will be a blast - Sisters!Mary Lou, Jenny and Tracie.After lunch I headed home.. I went by the cemetery.  Tracie's mother in law, Pam had placed this beautiful Easter Basket on Mom an Aubrey's grave.  It was so gorgeous, I really appreciate it.  I put blue hydrangeas - Mom's favorite color, my favorite flower!We had Max with us for a few days while Kari and her family were on vacation.. Such a cute little guy, I want another little doggie!Mexican Chicken in the crockpot - I had brocolini, Dave had asparagus.I kept the nursery at church on Easter Sunday - I had a few treats ready--Another book from Amy; I haven't finished it yet, but it has definitely got my attention.. At first I didn't think I would like it, but I love it - very different, hard to put down.  There are some far out segments in the book, which Amy calls  "magic realism" - new to me.  I thought it was just the imagination/thoughts of the main character in the book.  I looked magic realism up - "Latin-American literary phenomenon characterized by the matter-of-fact incorporation of fantastic or mythical elements into otherwise realistic fiction".  Another description:  an aesthetic style or narrative mode in which magical elements are blended into a realistic atmosphere in order to access a deeper understanding of reality. ( ok, I get this),  These magical elements are explained like normal occurrences that are presented in a straightforward and unembellished manner which allows the 'real' and the 'fantastic' to be accepted in the same stream of thought.  It has been widely considered a literary and visual art genre; OK - you either like it or not - so far I like it - final review soon =

No comments: