Tuesday, February 14, 2012

This is Castlewood, currently office of the Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia.  Originally it was a home built in 1816.  In 1860 the house was acquired by Trinity Methodist Church and served as a parsonage for traveling ministers until it was purchased in 1957 and restored to it's original 1820 condition.  It became Heritage Savings and Loan in 1976.  The county purchased the property in1987. 
Exterior is in pretty bad shape.  They recently received a grant for $160,000 and the building will be repaired this spring.
My sister in law, Barbara and I visited the site and participated in their Heirloom Seed Exchange. 
This is a awful picture, my camera is not doing very well.  But when I saw this it brought back a lot of good memories.  This is Moore's Lake, which was located on Jefferson Davis Hwy.  I went swimming here many times as a child and teenager.  I am not sure when it was closed - it was very much like Overhill Lake in Henrico County.
The interior is lovely.
Lots of documented history.
Model of the building.
There were many books of seeds:  veggies, herbs, flowers.  You could only pick 10 seed packets.  No cost, you just have to bring back seeds after harvesting your crop.
It was hard to choose.  I tried to pick different types of plants that I have never planted.
Lemon Queen Sunflower
Sweet Annie
Cilantro
Sensitive Plant Mimosa Pudica

Italian Dark Green Flat Parsley
Tomato -Black Krim
Red Cherry Tomatoes
Okra - Red Burgandy
Cardinal Climber. It was a fun day, learning a little about the county's history and picking out some great plant seeds.  Then we went to lunch at a new cafe - Huckleberry's - it is in a sports parks very near our house.  The food was great.  I had dumpling soup - the best soup ever.
I stopped to get the doggies some treats on the way home and bought these huge bones for them....they loved them, especially Annabelle.

No comments: