Saturday, October 17, 2009

Virginia State Fair

 Our fair has been in the north of Richmond for as long as I can remember.  This year it was held north of Richmond in Caroline County.  Dave and I wanted to check it out.  The fair was just east of King's Dominion on the grounds where the Meadow Farm was previously. This horse farm was the home of Secretariat, winner of the Kentucky Derby about 30 years ago.  We lived in Caroline County very close to the Meadow Farm - it was beautiful with fields of green and white pickett fencing.  And it is a beautiful site for the fair.  Parking was on the opposite side of the road and these tunnels were the pathway to the entrance of the fair.This was the home of the owners of the farm, now the state fair headquarters. 
My favorite part of the fair -- eating!..I wanted to try everything, but after you have a few goodies you just don't want anymore!  One of my favorites is candy apples, there were so may varieties but I went with the old standard - it was yummy.Dave went for the cinnamon elephant ear - also very good.Dave loves these slushy drinks.There was fried everything - I stayed away from these although I wanted to taste everything.Then we had lunch - Dave's favorite is the sausage sandwiches; I had barbecued beef tips.We passed on all the rides.Lady Luck!Wow! Huge pumpkins.We loved the animals.We wanted to take this little guy home.Sheep sheering.A lot of Sheep.This Mama pig had 8 babies.This horse was big and beautiful.Baby chicks.My very favorite part of the fair.  This lady was spinning on a walking wheel - very similar to the one I have. She explained the whole process.  She is from Suffolk and offers classes.This is the part of wheel that I don't have - the working mechanism.  She told me to take a picture of mine and send it to her and she could probably find one that would fit so I could use it.It was fascinating to watch her.  She was the spinner for years at one of the plantations in the area.  She was lovely and I plan on giving her a call.  This cute little lady was working on that big contraption behind her, not sure what it was and I had to leave to go find my hubby - I had already been in this area a long time.
We enjoyed visiting the fair.  It was very clean and layed out very well.  I can't wait to go next year.

No comments: