Monday, June 04, 2007

Bird Happenings at the Metz's

Dave and I love birds and have quite a bird sanctuary in our yard. We have a total of 6 birdhouses and many bird feeders, including hummingbird feeders. We had quite a few visitors in our yard the first year but this year has been very active. We have had 2 blue bird families - these are such beautiful birds. The male is such a striking shade of blue. I love walking by the blue bird houses and hearing the baby birds chirping! I would love to see them leave their home and learning to fly but no such luck as of yet. Early this spring whenever Dave and I sat on the front porch, we thought we saw something flying off the porch but just couldn't figure out what it could be, we thought it may be a bat. Then I discovered that there was a bird nest on the wreath on our front door - mystery solved! When I peeked into the nest there were bird eggs and one blue egg was sitting on top of the wreath. We tried to limit use of the front door and before long there were babies - it was hard to tell how many there were. It was such a small next and we think there were 3 babies. They were really stuffed into that nest. Here are some pics:









This picture was taken from our bedroom. Can you see the blue bird on top of the birdhouse?

Another bird nest in a not so likely location. I use this old tea pot as a planter. Recently when I was cleaning off the back porch I noticed what looked like a bird nest in the making. We have a canopy on the back porch and I had not zipped up the panels for the season and a bird was entering through the opening and making a little home. I hadn't thought about it for the last couple of weeks, and was on the porch with Alex this past weekend and was doing some re-arranging and discovered 6 little white eggs deep into the nest!



I hope mama and daddy haven't given up on these guys with all the activity that has been going on. I won't zip up the closures on the canopy until I know for sure.

No comments: