Thursday, January 28, 2010

Cookies!!!

I was inspired to make these cookies after watching a segment on "Oprah".  The show was about loss - loss of loved ones.  One of the segments was about twin brothers - one brother became ill with a brain tumor and died at 6 years old.  His brother was devastated and became more depressed with each day.  So concerned for their son, the parents took him to his pediatrician.  What a special doctor - instead of putting him on medication, she asked him what he really liked to do, his reply, "I like to cook, especially baking cookies.  His doctor gave him $25 as an investment to start his "cookie business"  - the next time he came to see her , she expected a business plan from him.  This child did exactly that.  He started baking cookies and selling them to friends and to any one else he could.. a portion of his profits were donated to charities that had helped his brother during his illness.  This gave him a purpose and a feeling that he was doing something in honor of his brother.  When he was interviewed by Oprah, she asked him who his favorite chef was - Paula Deen! and she walked out on the stage with a plate of cookies - his favorite Paula Deen Cookie - Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies!  This kid was so amazing.  He was such a cutey.  The show was a real tear jerker and it just made me want to make these cookies.  I only ate one since I am on my diet.  I took the rest to my co workers and they were a hit.  They were scrumtious and everyone raved about them - how can you go wrong, butter, chocolate - the best part, this is a very easy recipe - it starts with a cake mix.I found this jar with the chalk label at Pier One - perfect for cookie sharing!Every body at work enjoyed them, so I have decided to make a different cookie recipe every week or so and share with some of the most caring people I know - they deserve a treat every now and then.  Of course I leave a few here for my sweetie.
If you would like to give these cookies a try, the recipe is at the Food Network Website.  Wonder what cookie will fill this container next week???  Check back to see.  Cookie-Love!

No comments: