Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Let's Get to Cookin!

No better way to start the new year for me - cooking and baking.  This is Chocolate Snacking Cake.  Pretty Yummy - a little dry, I won't cook so long next time.Dave forgot to get the chocolate chips, but I found some left over Christmas candy.

Dusted with powder sugar.  I love this stuff - a little messy but so pretty.Some cake squares in a cute glass container I found at Hobby Lobby out west.  I love that store!  Too bad we don't have one in Richmond.This cool roaster I got not long ago.  I kept it in the box, trying to decide if I should keep it or not.  But, I am glad I decided to keep it.  It makes roast chicken just like at the super market but better.  You can cook turkey, kabobs, veggies and much more.  I think it was a good investment.
So yummy and clean up is a breeze.
I have baked in it every week.

I found another yummy candle - "Glazed Doughnuts"
Soup - Chicken Noodle - a winner!
Trying to perfect Dave's favorite soup - Gumbo?
You must make a Roux - a little time consuming and boring - Just stir oil and flour together for about 20 minutes over medium heat.  Must be a red brown color. 
Dave said it was the best.
This is Nigella Lawson's recipe for cupcakes.  Every thing is mixed in the food processor - different in baking, but I really liked it.  Very easy.
Fresh out of the oven.
Making Royal Icing.
Add fresh lemon juice.

Very shiny, pretty frosting and it tasted great.  Mine was a little too thin.

Very good no matter what.
Emmy and Grandpa gave them a plus.


I have tried to stay away from the after Christmas sales, but I went to Pier One just the other day and found this cute cupcake ornament. 
Oh, I did get a "Skinny Christmas Tree" after Christmas from Cracker Barrell - They held one for me in a store that we went in on our way to St. Louis.  YEAH! - A great buy.

No comments: